Digital Mammography at Baptist Health La Grange
Baptist Health La Grange offers low-cost screening digital mammography to help detect breast cancer before it has spread. Accredited by the American College of Radiology and the FDA, our Mammography Department uses advanced equipment for greater patient safety and comfort.
Shorter mammography exam and wait times are expected with the new Lorad® digital mammography equipment used at Baptist Northeast and Baptist Crestwood, our outpatient facility in nearby Crestwood, Ky.
The turnaround time for patients is much faster. One digital unit is capable of doing the work of two analog units.
Other benefits include flexible paddles that sense breast thickness for more comfortable compression, reduced radiation exposure and fewer false positives.
Digital mammography provides sharper images, which can be computer-enhanced for viewing, leading to a better diagnosis and fewer return visits for further examinations.
For a softer, warmer mammogram, we also use the MammoPad®, a foam cushion which also allows X-rays to pass through.
Improved cancer detection
For improved cancer detection, Baptist Health La Grange is also using a computer-aided system, the R2 ImageChecker®, to analyze mammograms by identifying areas containing features associated with cancer that warrant further examination.
With the digital technology, images can be sent electronically, allowing radiologists at Baptist Hospital Northeast to review current mammograms taken on-site as well as comparison mammograms taken off-site.
The importance of screening mammography
As a woman, you have one chance in eight of developing breast cancer during your lifetime. The best protection you have against breast cancer is early detection through:
- Annual mammograms after age 40;
- Monthly breast self-examination starting at age 20;
- Receiving an annual breast exam from your doctor.
Early detection is your best chance of survival. The five-year survival rate for breast cancer is:
- 94 percent if the cancer has not spread;
- 73 percent if it has spread to nearby organs;
- 18 percent if it has spread throughout the body.
The Mammography Department at Baptist Health La Grange and Baptist Crestwood offers:
- A staff of female technologists sensitive to a woman's need for privacy;
- Advanced digital mammography equipment, making routine screening exams more comfortable and more accurate;
- Board-certified radiologists to interpret your exam;
- Accreditation by the American College of Radiology (ACR) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA); and
- One of the lowest cost screening mammograms available in the Louisville area.
On the day of your mammogram, remember:
- Wear a two-piece outfit, so you can stay dressed from the waist down during your exam;
- Don't use any powders or underarm deodorants, because they can interfere with your results.
Mammograms can be scheduled by calling One Call at (502) 222-3939. For more information about Diagnostic Imaging Services at Baptist Health La Grange, call (502) 222-3620.