Baptist Health La Grange's Cardiopulmonary Services provides a broad range of inpatient and outpatient cardiology and respiratory care services, including diagnostic testing and treatment.
Baptist Health La Grange offers a variety of services to help diagnose heart problems. Studies offered in the cardiology area include:
- Electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG). An electrocardiogram is a recording of the heart's electrical activity on a strip of moving paper. It is one of the first tests used to diagnose heart disease, although a normal EKG doesn't guarantee the heart and coronary arteries are normal.
- Echocardiogram. An echocardiogram uses sound waves to produce pictures of the heart in motion. It is used to diagnose abnormalities of the heart valves, the heart muscle and the fluid-filled sac surrounding the heart.
- Holter monitoring. Holter monitoring is a continuous recording of your heart's electrical activity for 24 hours while you go about your normal activities. It is very useful in diagnosing abnormal heart rhythms and in determining whether recurring symptoms such as dizziness, fainting and palpitations are caused by abnormal rhythms.
- Stress testing. Stress testing helps your doctor evaluate your heart at rest, while your heart rate is increasing as you exercise on a treadmill or as a result of medication such as persantine and adenosine, and after your heart rate reaches its peak. The test can show how well the heart muscle is contracting and if portions of the heart muscle are deprived of blood.
Respiratory Care Services
For most people, breathing is second nature. But for those who suffer from breathing problems caused by injury or illnesses such as asthma, emphysema and bronchitis, each breath can be a major accomplishment. Baptist Health La Grange's Cardiopulmonary Services provides inpatient and outpatient respiratory care services to help diagnose and treat breathing disorders and help you breathe easier. Staffed around the clock by registered and certified respiratory therapists and technicians, the department provides a broad range of services, including:
- Sputum induction, to produce a mucous sample for laboratory testing;
- Pulse oximetry, to determine if your body is getting enough oxygen;
- Blood gas analysis, to determine levels of oxygen, carbon dioxide and other substances in the blood;
- Peak flow measurements, to measure how fast air comes out of your lungs; and
- Complete pulmonary function testing, to measure the volume of air in your lungs and your ability to move air in and out.
- Oxygen therapy;
- Aerosol therapy, to deliver medication to your lungs through a fine mist as you inhale;
- Inhalers, which deliver a premeasured dose of medicine into your lungs;
- Chest physical therapy (CPT), to loosen mucous in your lungs and allow you to cough productively;
- Incentive spirometry, a deep breathing exercise to prevent lung problems after surgery; and
- Ventilator care to support the basic function of the lungs and temporarily assist a patient who is having trouble breathing.
For more information
For more information about Cardiopulmonary Services at Baptist Health La Grange, call (502) 222-3456 or (502) 222-3441.
For more information about heart or respiratory topics, visit our Health Encyclopedia.