A full range of occupational therapy, pediatric therapy, physical therapy, speech pathology and sports medicine services for all ages, serving La Grange, Kentucky and Oldham County.
Rehabilitation Services & Sports Medicine
Baptist Health La Grange offers a full range of occupational therapy, physical therapy, pediatric therapy and speech pathology, industrial rehabilitation and sports medicine services for La Grange, KY, Oldham County and surrounding areas.
We provide specialized services in the hospital and the community for many types of injuries and disabilities, including sports injuries. Pediatric therapy services are also available for infants and children with developmental delays.
What is rehabilitation?
Rehabilitation services are provided to anyone needing occupational therapy, physical therapy and speech/language therapy.
These services are designed to help individuals ages children to adults, recover from a variety of illnesses and injuries, and return to their prior level of independence. Rehabilitation services also assist those with physical impairments and/or deficits in memory, thinking or learning skills that have occurred at birth or during early childhood.
A team approach is used in order to provide the best possible treatment:
- Occupational therapy helps you increase your independence with life tasks through practical activities such as eating, bathing, dressing, home management, money management and working safely at your job or within your home. To increase your independence, you may need to make changes within your environment, use adaptive equipment, wear a custom-fabricated hand splint or participate in activities to increase your self-concept or problem-solving skills.
- Physical therapy helps you improve strength, coordination and balance, and reach your specific goals, such as independent movement, wheelchair mobility or walking. Outpatient therapy is offered at the hospital and at Baptist Health Crestwood.
- Speech-language pathology helps with communication and swallowing problems, and works to improve listening, speaking, reading and writing skills. Increasing cognitive skills to improve reasoning and judgment is another goal.
- Sports medicine involves treatment and prevention of sports injuries. Therapists work closely with board certified orthopaedic specialists in the area to provide excellent treatment for sports injuries. Inpatient and outpatient services are provided at the hospital, and outpatient services are offered at Baptist Crestwood. Baptist Health La Grange is also the exclusive sports medicine provider for the varsity sports teams at Oldham, South Oldham, North Oldham, Trimble County, Henry County and Eminence Independent high schools. Baptist Health Sports Medicine is now open at Baptist Eastpoint near Anchorage. Find out more about the most comprehensive sports medicine facility in the area, staffed with 11 sports medicine-trained physicians and all sports medicine-trained physical therapists and athletic trainers.
- Pediatric rehabilitation & pediatric therapy provides therapeutic services to children, from newborn to adolescence, with motor, cognitive, speech, language and other developmental delays.
Pediatric physical, occupational and speech therapy
Baptist Health La Grange Rehabilitation Services Department has served children from birth to adolescence since 1992. Baptist Health La Grange serves children with developmental delays in the areas of fine motor, gross motor, social/emotional, perception, cognition and speech/language. We frequently treat children with a variety of diagnoses including cerebral palsy, toe walking, torticollis, hemispherectomy, autism, hearing disorders, mental retardation, spinal cord injuries, spina bifida, sensory disorders, organic etiologies, orthopedic injuries and general developmental delay.
Through our pediatric therapy program, we focus on treatment of the child, as well as education and instruction of the caregivers. We provide treatment in conjunction with other disciplines to best suit the child's needs. This includes both professionals within our hospital and at other agencies. We also work closely with your physician to develop and implement a program tailored to attain your goals. Our therapists have a genuine interest in children and maintain current competencies with treatment approaches.
Baptist Health La Grange now offers pediatric patients the opportunity to use the Lite Gait; a body weight supported treadmill training system. This new equipment provides a safer, more successful and enjoyable environment for gait training. It provides therapists the ability to get patients walking sooner, especially those who may not have been previously eligible for gait training due to severity or complexity of their condition.
Scheduling an appointment
If you are concerned with any aspect of your child's development, you may contact your primary care physician or Baptist Health La Grange Rehabilitation Services Department at 502-222-3303. Physician referral is required for evaluation of your child. Once you obtain physician referral, call the number above for an appointment with an occupational, physical and/or speech therapist. We accept most insurance (you must check your particular policy for coverage), as well as Medicaid, Passport and KCHIP. Our staff will assist in determining your payor source(s), and claims will be filed through our billing department.
Appointments are typically available Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Our staff tries to accommodate school and work schedules.
Total joint replacement program
The Total Joint Program includes a pre-operative educational day that will fully prepare you for your surgery, your hospital stay, and your individual post-operative recovery plan.
Baptist Health La Grange's Total Joint Program is designed to care for all of your pre-surgical needs during one visit. You will be educated about your surgical procedure and learn what to expect upon your arrival the day of surgery. Your surgeon will assign you a time to arrive for your pre-operative visit.
What will happen when you arrive at Baptist Health La Grange:
- You will be registered into our system. Please bring your insurance cards with you.
- You will receive any pre-operative testing that your surgeon feels are needed prior to your surgery (labs, X-rays, etc.).
- You will visit with a Pre-Admission Testing nurse, who will obtain your complete medical history. Please bring along all of your medications to this visit so we can ensure correct drugs and dosages.
- You will participate in a group Total Joint Education class conducted by Baptist Health La Grange physical therapists. They will educate you on your surgical procedure and your follow-up care while you are here at our facility. This will include post-operative exercises. You will be able to see many of the medical devices that will be used for your care during your stay.
- You will have the opportunity to tour the Medical/Surgical Units at our facility where you will stay after surgery.
For more information, call 502-222-3892.
Industrial rehabilitation services
The Rehabilitation Department works with Baptist Health Occupational Medicine (affiliated with Baptist Health La Grange) to provide industrial rehabilitation services including:
- Back treatment
- Treatment for hand injuries
- Treatment for repetitive motion injuries
- Treatment for muscular and bone injuries
- Hearing screenings
- General body reconditioning
- Job analysis at the work site
- Educational programs for back safety
- Educational programs for prevention of repetitive motion injuries
Arranging for treatment
Baptist Health La Grange's rehabilitation team works closely with your physician to develop and implement a program tailored to attain your goals. A referral from your primary care physician or specialist is necessary.
Rehabilitation services are provided for hospital patients and community members of all ages.
Baptist Health La Grange accepts a wide variety of health insurance, as well as Medicare and Medicaid. Our staff will assist in determining your payor source(s), and claims will be filed through our billing department.
Appointments are available from 5:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
For more information
For more information about Rehabilitation Services & Sports Medicine at Baptist Health La Grange, please call the department at (502) 222-3303.
Find out more about Orthopedic Services at Baptist Health La Grange.
For more information about rehabilitation and other health topics, visit our Health Encyclopedia.